Sunday, March 29, 2009

Giving Back: Infant Gowns

The TAP project ended yesterday--thanks to everyone who either donated or supported TAP restaurants. I was looking online for other ways to help children in distress, and I came across the humanitarian aid site on the LDS church website. They have guidelines for school kits, infant kits for orphanages, or hygiene kits--and instructions for either mailing the kits or dropping them off to distribution centers where they will mail them for you. They have patterns for toys, clothing, booties, mittens . . . many things that don't cost a lot of money, but that can make a big difference in a child's life. One project that I would like to try is the infant layette gown pattern. It looks like something I might actually be able to handle sewing . . . we'll see!

There are also cute patterns for dolls that I would like to try if I can get brave enough sometime. The knit mitten pattern seemed a little bit confusing to me, but the crochet version seemed doable. The booties looked really cute and easy as well.

I would like to complete some of these newborn kits, as time and money allow. If you would like to do some as well, the contents of the kit are:
Place the following items in a heavy-duty, two-gallon sealable bag. Remove the air before sealing
· 4 single thickness cloth diapers, approximately 25x27 inches Birdseye Cloth or diaper flannel, 100% cotton. No pre-fold or disposable diapers
· 4 diaper safety pins
· 1 pair booties or baby socks
· 2 bars of soap 3.5-5 ounces each (Ivory or other non-allergenic brand)
· 1 receiving blanket (36x36 – 45x45 inches)
· 1 layette gown--No footed sleepers, buttons, zippers or strings Size: Newborn to 6 months, Fabric: cotton knit

Do you have any links to other worthy humanitarian organizations or projects? If so, I would love to hear from you. The next big UNICEF fundraiser is in October--so I am looking for other ways to "give back."

No comments: