Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wesley's Big Party

Randy likes to point out that I have a tendency to bite off more than I can comfortably chew. The monkey costume was a perfect example of this. So was Wesley's cake. I have never decorated a cake beyond frosting it and adding candles and maybe confetti. For this creation, I wanted to learn how to make fondant.
So I practiced. And I toiled. And I crossed my fingers that this wouldn't be a huge disaster, having heard that fondant is particularly finnicky to work with.

I think it was a decent success.

My parents made a special trip up for Wesley's big day. So together with Randy's parents, we had a pretty fun party.
Randy did a fantastic job as the decorating committee.
Present opening was a big hit.

Thanks everyone for the presents, the cards, and all the love. This little guy had the time of his life!

Wesley, you are the sparkley, happy, wonderful part of my life. You are a constant source of joy and laughter in our home. You have the sweetest, most gentle spirit and we know you will be such a good big brother to the other children who will enter our home someday.
I love you, little pookie
And love you and love you
And love you and love you

9 comments:

Neal & Shara said...

Happy Birthday Wesley! What a grand party you had! Your mom made you such an amazing cake and your dad put up the most dazzling decorations and you made the cutest birthday boy! We had so much fun! Thanks for playing with us~ love to you all!
Grandma and Grandpa W

Casey said...

Happy Birthday Wesley! I'm sorry we couldn't make it down to celebrate with you. :(

Joe and Mandy Johnson said...

Wow the cake turned out great! I wish we could have been there! He looks like he had a blast!

Lance and Mandi said...

Fondant, wow! I am impressed. I have never dared to try it. Congrats on a cute cake and an even cuter boy! Happy b-day Wes!

Unknown said...

Happy late birthday to Wes! So glad to see pictures. That cake looks amazing! You're so talented.

Miss you guys, and glad to see you're doing good and having fun. Give Wes a hug from all of us!

Mimi Collett said...

I can't believe that cake was your first attempt. It looks so good!

Johnsons said...

Wow, a year old already? Time flies when it's not your child. Happy birthday, Wesley!

Krystal Downs said...

That cake looks amazing Alicia. As does your little cute monkey! I can't believe it has been a year. I hope you all are doing well in Washington. And by the way, I did finish A Mercy and it was, of course, a great read!
Love you and miss you.

Krystal

Donnie and Christina said...

Fabulous cake!!! Happy Birthday Wesley! We love you!