Monday, September 17, 2007

Baby Che

Last November my roommate and I went down to the local pet shop on center street to see if they had any cute animals there. We were actually thinking of getting a pet bunny, when we saw this funny little creature cuddled up in a ball in a cage. I had never heard of a chinchilla before, but I fell in love with this one the moment I held her little squirmy self in my arms. She has been an endless stream of entertainment for us ever since. As many of you know Randy is not much of an animal person, so I was a little concerned that he wasn't going to like my new little "Baby Che." But the funny thing has been watching him get really attached to this little creature. She has a lot of personality in a tiny little jumpy package (if you aren't familiar with chinchillas, they jump up to about five feet in the air). My favorite part about her is that she doesn't smell, doesn't bite, and is generally very sweet tempered. All around she has been the perfect pet for us. She really likes the freedom she has in our new place, and we like that she can run around without getting into too much trouble!
Chinchillas are native to the Andes mountains in South America, and so we named her Che after Che Guevarra, thinking that she was a boy when we purchased her. A few months later, suprise! she had babies, so our little girl had a boy's name. Some months later as I was doing some research in Chicana feminism for a class I was taking, I came across a theorist with the first name of Chela, so I suppose she can be named after a feminist instead of a Marxist . . . although I seriously doubt she cares . . .
I tried posting some videos, but they didn't upload for some reason. They are pretty hilarious, so we'll see what we can figure out.
Che on her little leash. She liked the ducks at the botany pond.

No comments: