Sunday, July 12, 2009

Frozen Chocolate Delight

I found this recipe the other day when I was organizing my recipe book. It was from a page photocopied out of a magazine years ago . . . I'm pretty sure I was living at Monticello with Melanie at the time . . . along with a slew of other delightful chocolaty wonders. Sadly at the time I didn't own an ice-cream maker, so I never tried it, and I forgot that I had such a recipe.

Well, guess who has an ice-cream maker now! It is a good thing that this recipe is fat free . . . I am really trying to lose that baby weight before Ashley gets married next month. But chocolate is an important food group that shouldn't be ignored, and this is rich enough that just a small bit will cure the craving.

It is a bit too heavy on the chocolate for Randy's tastes . . . Darlene you would be in heaven! I think that the only thing that could improve this treat would be some chopped hazelnuts thrown in, a little chocolate syrup on top, and some whipped cream. Yes--death by chocolate all the way. I have some hazelnuts in the freezer . . . hmm . . . .

Chocolate Sorbet

(makes about 1 qt)

1 1/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cook sugar in a dry 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork, until sugar is melted into a deep golden caramel. Add water (caramel with harden and steam vigorously) and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until caramel is dissolved.

Add cocoa and salt, whisking until dissolved, then transfer to a bowl and cool, stirring occasionally. Stir in vanilla, then chill, covered, until cold (about 2 hours).

Freeze in ice cream maker, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.

No comments: