Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Where There's Smoke

Last night for Family Night we decided to take a little trip and instead of staying in, go out to dinner.

And so Wesley experienced his first campfire. A proud graduate of girls' camp, the fire took one match. No lighter fluid involved. Although the group next to us was having the darndest time with their fire . . . you should have seen the pyrotechnics involved in trying to get theirs going. But I digress . . .
My devious plot is really to get Wesley to love the outdoors, so that Randy will want to go camping more often . . . Randy has a thing about the bugs and dirt of camping. I'm really trying to win him over.
So far, I think I'm succeeding. Doesn't that look like the face of a baby that is having a good time?
He is a very serious baby when it comes to having fun. I love how hard he concentrates when something catches his interest.
He looks more and more like Daddy every day. And he gets in to things more and more every day. Daddy's influence? That's what I'll blame it on anyway! My funny, funny boys. I think I'm going to have my hands full with the two of them!

Now our dinner . . .
You can see the dutch oven in the first picture. I was too intent on eating by the time it was done that I didn't take a picture, but it was good, let me tell you. I made it up on the fly, with what I had in my kitchen, but here's the scoop:

Dutch Oven Veggie-ladas

Three medium potatoes, cubed (I left the skins on)
Three medium carrots, washed and chopped
One can cream of celery soup (next time I'd like to make my own if I have time, so that it is dairy free)
One small can green chilies, drained and diced
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

I lined the dutch oven with foil, and sprayed it with cooking spray. Then in a bowl I combined the potatoes and carrots with the soup, and put the mixture in the foil lined oven. I sprinkled the green chilies on top, sprinkled some salt and fresh ground black pepper, and then the cheese.

It turned out very zesty and delightful. Definitely a keeper. Onions and broccoli would probably work well also--I just didn't have any on hand at the moment.

1 comment:

Neal & Shara said...

Oooh, does this mean I get more pictures? I haven't ordered them yeat!!!!! Looks like you had a great time. It makes me want to take you all camping!