Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Developments . . .

My first baby tomato on its way! Can you spot it? My little garden/pots are doing well with the tomatoes, and I am very excited. But I have learned an important lesson: the varieties of lettuce and spinach I have been trying to grow are not suited to hot Utah summers. Back home in Oregon we would feast on fresh greens all summer long. Here . . . I am going to have to buy mine I'm afraid. No matter how carefully I have tended them, they withered and scorched underneath the hot sun. Very sad. Anyone have advice for me? I miss my lettuce!!!
So instead of a beautiful pot of salad greens, I allowed my spring volunteer spinach plant to go to seed. Who knew that spinach plants had such lovely purple-blue flowers? I didn't. Sometimes failure can be darn right pretty!

3 comments:

Katie Seamons said...

My dad used to put screens over plants that he wanted to protect from the sun during the hottest part of the day. It offers sun but in limited amounts. It would probably work...I'm not the gardner though. The best of luck!

Mimi Collett said...

Wow! I had no idea spinach had such pretty flowers!

Mozi Esme said...

Yep, pretty spinach! At least you attempted. I haven't even done that!