Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup

I told you that I am all about seasonal cooking. Especially fall cooking--I love these flavors. Anyway--here is my favorite recipe that I have been making lately. Very simple but addicting. Plus it is good for you! This one is definitely a keeper (especially since both Randy and Wesley love it). I found this recipe on a Dannon yogurt advertisement actually. You can easily make this vegan by using soy yogurt. This recipe makes 12 servings, but I would say for a family of 4 it makes a good main dish with very few leftovers.

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 TB canola oil
1 large sweet onion, sliced
2 tsp ground cumin
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 qt veg. broth
2 TB chopped parsley or cilantro
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds

Directions:
In a soup pot heat oil. Add onions and cumin and saute 3-4 minutes. Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup 20-25 minutes.

Puree soup with 1 1/2 cups yogurt and parsley or cilantro. Serve each portion of soup with a dollop of remaining yogurt and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.

Side note: I skipped the pumpkin seeds and extra dollop of yogurt, because really when it comes to dinner and I have a little one in the high chair wanting both food and entertainment, who has time to be that fancy?

2 comments:

Casey said...

That sounds so yummy!

Mozi Esme said...

That looks yummy! I've been struggling with menu planning lately - I think we need to do more soups...

How are you guys?