Saturday, July 14, 2012

Big Boy Bed

The other day when I woke up, I found a Fredrick up and wandering around. This was quite a shock considering I had no idea he knew how to get out of his crib and open the door. That day at nap time, he decided That Was IT! and he refused to go in the crib. I put him in; he climbed out. This freaked me out because his crib is a sleigh style and is really high up for such a small guy. So we decided to transition his crib into a toddler bed before he cracked his cute, cute head. This transition was not without much trepidation on my part: when we transitioned Wesley (I was pregnant with Fredrick and couldn't lift Wes in and out of his crib) it was a bit of a nightmare. He cried and cried and hated going to bed for a long time. I think it was about the time Fredrick was a new baby he finally settled down at night and wasn't so hard to put down.

Night One: Fredrick was really excited about his big boy bed. Wesley was such a sweet big brother and insisted on laying down next to Fredrick to help him feel comfortable. I stayed in there singing to Fredrick and trying to help him settle down, but eventually I just left the room and let him cry for a few minutes. He settled down after maybe ten minutes and did go back to his little bed, crawl up, and go to sleep. Wesley went back to his bed, and this is what we found a few hours later:


I did lift him back in bed gently and he slept there the rest of the night.

Night Two: I did pretty much the same thing as the first night, but I wasn't so concerned about leaving and letting him cry. I accepted the fact that they would probably be little monkeys and get up and play a little, trusting they would end up in their beds. They did! When we went in to check on them, this is what we found:

Night Three: Fredrick pretty much had the hang of things (or was it Mom getting trained?) and they went down very smoothly. It is so cute to see them such good friends and Fredrick being old enough to really play and interact as a brother with Wesley. And it is very sweet to see Wesley take Fredrick under his wing. When we went to check on them, this is what he found:

I love these little boys so much. I hope they always stay close, close friends.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

So cute! They love each other so much

Mozi Esme said...

That is so sweet! Oh, the joys of growing up and all the many transitions...