Monday, May 11, 2009

Family Moments Monday: Silly Traditions Can be Fun

First of all, a very happy Mothers' Day to all you mothers out there! I am so blessed to have an amazing mother who is talented, smart, funny and fun to be around, cares so much for her family, and who has taught me so much.
I love this picture--I remember taking it with my mom when I was three or four. I was too scared to stand on the edge of the hill by myself, so she held me so I'd be safe.

I have also been blessed to be a mom this year. My little Wesley is such a joy in my life!
Yesterday also happened to be our little guy's six month birthday! I can't believe how fast the time is going. He celebrated his half-birthday (yes, it is a real holiday in our family) with some presents and the above animal cracker--which he managed to get all over the place. We read some stories, talked to Grandma and Grandpa on the phone, and pretty much had fun.

This whole "half-birthday" tradition is something that started when I was a little girl. Perhaps I missed my calling in life as a lawyer or negotiator, because even as a very young girl I recognized a discrepancy in the number of holidays I got to celebrate (birthday, Christmas) and the number of holidays my parents got to celebrate (birthday, Christmas, Mothers/Fathers Day, wedding anniversary)--and so to remedy this egregious deficiency in holiday cheer, I talked my way into getting a half-birthday. My parents didn't go overboard spoiling me, but it was a special day where I got to pick what we had for dinner, I got a few presents, and generally was made to feel extra special. Now that I am married I wanted to carry this silly and fun tradition into my new family. Randy thinks it is ridiculous still, but has come to welcome his half birthday celebration so he puts up with the holidays!

Something silly I added to the mix: what has come to be known as the birthday stocking. I think Christmas stockings are so fun--all the fun silly little candy and presents inside--and one day I was speculating to my mom that I thought birthdays should have a similar tradition. Boy did she come through for me:
See what a cool Mom I have?

So of course I had to do one for Wesley:
I'm sure it isn't quite as perfectly crafted as my mom would have done, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Now I just have to make one for Randy before his half-birthday the end of July . . .

**Oh and Congratulations to Casey, who won my first giveaway! Those burp clothes will be making their way to you very soon!

4 comments:

Neal & Shara said...

Cute, cute, cute stocking for Wesley! Can't wait to see Randy's stocking! Wesley is looking so grown up. Hard to believe we were just there two weeks ago!

Casey said...

Yay for me! :)

I love the half birthday celebration. What a fun idea! The birthday stockings make it especially cute. :)

Mimi Collett said...

I really like the idea of birthday stockings! :)

Mozi Esme said...

Well - happy half birthday! We had a half-birthday party at 18 months for Esme, including a half-birthday cake, and I definitely want to keep that tradition up!

And I love the birthday stocking idea!