Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Basic Embroidery


My Grandmother does gorgeous embroidery work (isn't she beautiful?). Growing up, I loved the towels my mom had with different fruit embroidered on given her by my grandmother, so when I got older I asked for a set for Christmas. Now that I have my own kitchen, I love my fancy fruit towels hanging from my oven door:
This past summer when we were visiting my grandparents, my grandma had the chance to tell me the story of how she learned to embroider, and then showed me a few simple stitches so that that I could do it as well. I was so excited to learn, especially from her, since her embroidery is what I envied all growing up. When she was little, about six or seven, she was out of school for a length of time for health reasons. Her Aunt Alice was a school teacher, and would come over and help her keep up with her studies. As something fun to do while she stayed in bed, her aunt taught her how to embroider. And from those lessons, came this:
Thanks Grandma for sharing your talents with me!

I'm not a good instructor, but here's a link if you want to try one of the stitches she taught me. And I'll post the results of my current project shortly, and you can decide whether I picked up my lessons well :o)
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stitch/stem.html

No comments: