Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Victory!! Ok, So a Small One . . .

So, I have mentioned before that I am no seamstress. I enjoy sewing up to the point where I get really frustrated and have to call my mom in tears. She is an amazing seamstress--don't let her tell you otherwise--and made me these adorable dresses when I was a little girl. It is a talent I am trying to develop, but it is hard when I have fifteen minute blocks between baby/laundry/picking Randy up from school/preparing meals/baby . . . so this has taken me way longer than it should have. I won't even admit to how long. Suffice it to say, this is a very late present.

I made this apron and one to match--finished it fifteen minutes ago at 12:25 a.m.--to fulfill my goal for today. All I have left is some embroidery on the front and it will be mailed off to its long-overdue recipient.

My dishes didn't get done, but one victory is enough for today.

Does anyone have advice for a beginning seamstress? What are some easy projects you would suggest to get me over my intimidation of the whole process? The pattern I used had the word "Dummies" in the title . . . if that gives you any indication of my skill level . . .

4 comments:

Casey said...

That apron looks fantastic! (I sewed last night instead of doing dishes too! Yay for us!)

What kinds of projects are you interested in? I'm always bookmarking projects as I run across them. I'd be happy to send you some links.

Neal & Shara said...

For me sewing didn't become "fun" till I got to sew for you! Then when I no longer got to sew for you becaue you gew up, I found my love for sewing in making quilts-thanks again to you! For me sewing became fun when I found what "I" liked to sew! But your skill is as good if not better than mine! The apron looks fabulous!

Boyd and Sarise said...

Hearing you talk about sewing is like hearing my own echo. I feel the exact same way about it. I wish I liked it, but it ends the same way every time. Good job on the apron though! What are you embroidering on it?

Unknown said...

Casey-

I'm interested in projects for Wesley (toys, clothes etc.) or things to make my house more "green" (like the sandwich bags).

Sarise-

I'm embroidering a chef's hat and the names of the people I'm giving them as a gift to. Hopefully I won't ruin them!