Monday, March 9, 2009

Family Moments Monday: Family Pizza Night

When I was little, I looked forward to Friday nights with my family, because they meant one thing: pizza, root beer, and movies. My mom made amazing pizza, and we would curl up and watch classic movies like Roman Holiday and Notorious. I think we pretty much made it through all the Alfred Hitchcock films, and a few truly awful ones (anyone ever seen Something Evil This Way Comes? Abysmal!) But even when my Dad, I mean someone, would choose a movie that was a real stinker, we ended up having so much fun anyway--because we were spending time together. It is a family tradition that look back on with so many good memories, and one that I definitely want to continue in my own family. As we have been able to afford it, Randy and I have tried to invest in some decent family films. Some of our favorites are Ratatouille (so much like our chinchilla--minus the whole chef thing), Second Hand Lions, and of course classics like The Little Mermaid.

If you have never tried homemade pizza before, you really should. It is surprisingly easy, and so, so delicious. This dough recipe is pretty foolproof, and you can top it with whatever you love. My parents are a big fan of the turkey pepperoni you can buy--way less greasy. My favorites are vegan taco pizza, veggie pizza with dill sauce (see below) and good old fashioned pineapple.

Pizza Dough

1 c warm water
1 TB yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tb oil
2 1/2 c flour

Dill Sauce:

8 oz pkg cream cheese (tofutti makes fabulous vegan stuff)
1-2 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/3-1/2 c mayo (veganaise is the only good substitute). Optional ingredient if you add more milk to even out the consistency.
2 TB milk

Cook the dough that has been pricked with a fork for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Add the dill sauce, and top with desired veggies. I like cucumbers, tomato, red bell pepper, red onion, avocado, and olives. Top with a little salt and fresh ground black pepper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tofutti's cream cheese is SO good. I use it in my enchiladas now too. And we love Ratatouille over here too.