Sunday, March 8, 2009

Giving Back: Small Things Can Be Really Big

Sometimes when I think about wanting to make a difference in the world, I get overwhelmed by the enormity of it all. There is so much suffering in so many places--genocide, thousands of displaced families, children dying of starvation and lack of proper sanitation or clean water . . . the list goes on. It is hard not to feel inadequate when I have too few resources to effect dramatic change everywhere I see pain. But I have seen through example and come to believe that as long as we are giving, even in very simple ways to people around us, great cumulative changes will be effected in the long run.

Randy's grandmother is the perfect example of this. She has given unselfishly her whole life, and now she is a little slowed by age and health--but still giving. She has made thousands of little newborn hats which have been donated to hospitals, like these ones:
The ones on either side were given to Wesley, and the pink one I'm saving in case I have a little girl someday. They are washable and warm, and were such a blessing when I had a tiny baby in the winter. It is a simple thing--warm hats donated to new moms who don't have a lot of money--but it makes a difference.

There are a group of women who get together once a month in my church congregation who tie quilts to donate to a local hospital and women's shelter. I have been able to join them on occasions where my schedule permitted, and it was a lot of fun. Acts like this are within the capability of all of us, and do by increments change the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. It's very easy to get overwhelmed by the state of everything that you wind up doing nothing because you feel like what's the point. But it's so important to keep at it. One a hat a time, one life at a time, it really makes a difference. Great post!