Friday, March 13, 2009

Reusable Sandwich Wraps

I have been reading around on the internet, trying to find a good pattern for reusable sandwich bags. So my provident living project for today was to try out one of the patterns, and see how I liked it. Now, I am not a seamstress. I would like to be, but I am intimidated by the whole process . . . so we are taking baby steps. Anyway, I used this pattern, and here is the result:
The next time I do this, I would use lighter-weight fabric, and enlarge the pattern. I used ribbon instead of the velcro tab--which meant that I sewed the ribbons in the seam before turning and top stitching. Then I added a buttonhole on the top, like so . . .
The thing that is cute about this pattern is that you have a little place-mat when it is open to eat your lunch on.
The thing that I don't like about this pattern is that you can't use it really for anything other than sandwiches, maybe bagels. It can't replace ziplock baggies for snacks . . . although I have a green idea in the works for that . . . stay tuned. Some people have suggested using vinyl placemats for the material, and then it could be just wiped down. I didn't like that idea, so I made mine completely machine washable, so I can just throw it in the wash afterwards. If any of you have a more clever pattern for this, let me know! I would love to try it.

1 comment:

Casey said...

I've been wanting to do a sandwich wrap but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the info! I've seen the snack bags (ziploc replacement) made out of plain old muslin and that's what I thought I'd try. Oilcloth would also work. I also think the mesh produce bags are way cool.