Saturday, March 7, 2009

Thai Peanut Broccoli Wraps

This is one of my favorite dinners. The only thing that keeps me from making it more often is the availability of broccoli slaw--there is only one store in my area where I have seen it, and it isn't one I shop at regularly. If you have a food processor you could shred your own: The mix consists of shredded red cabbage, broccoli stalks, and carrot. Making your own mix would be much more cost effective, but sadly I wait for the day when I own a food processor :o(.
The sauce itself is fantastic over steamed brown basmati rice, with or without vegetables.
Oh--and for all you non Vegs, the original recipe did call for some chicken sauted in oil before you add the slaw mix to the skillet.

Thai Peanut Broccoli Wraps

6 8- to 10-inch plain, red and/or green flour tortillas

½ teaspoon garlic salt

¼ - ½ teaspoon pepper

2-3 teaspoons cooking oil (I like to replace with either sesame or peanut)

4 cups packaged shredded broccoli (broccoli slaw mix)

1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges

1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

1 recipe Peanut Sauce (recipe follows)

1- Wrap tortillas in paper towels. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds to soften. (or, wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 minutes.)

2- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, onion, and ginger to skillet--season with garlic salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.

3- To assemble, spread each tortilla with about 1 Tablespoon Peanut Sauce. Top with vegetable mixture. Roll up each tortilla, securing with a toothpick. Serve immediately with remaining sauce. Makes 6 servings.

Peanut Sauce: In a small saucepan combine:

¼ cup sugar

¼ cup creamy peanut butter

3 Tablespoons soy sauce

3 Tablespoons water

2 Tablespoons cooking oil

1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic.

Heat until sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently. Makes about 2/3 cup.

2 comments:

Casey said...

That sounds so yummy! I'm definitely going to have to try that one.

P.S. I'm glad you are blogging more. I like to read your posts. :)

Mozi Esme said...

My husband has a love affair with Thai food because of the peanut sauce! But I've never figured out how to make it - thanks for sharing this recipe! I do believe it'll be on this week's menu.